Why block google analytics?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
nilesh

Why block google analytics?

Post by nilesh »

One suggestion/question:
Why google analytics is blocked (by default when you subscribe to easy list)? It is not an ad. Infact, it is a very useful tool for website owners, and is in no way an inconvenience to the end user.
In my opinion, google-analytics should not be blocked. Its an unobstrusive script.

thanks
Nilesh
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

nilesh wrote:One suggestion/question:
Why google analytics is blocked (by default when you subscribe to easy list)? It is not an ad. Infact, it is a very useful tool for website owners, and is in no way an inconvenience to the end user.
In my opinion, google-analytics should not be blocked. Its an unobstrusive script.

thanks
Nilesh
I realize that it is helpful to webmasters and I am not against blocking anyones stats. I do not want to deny anyone the ability to see who comes into their site and where they go. I have not purposely blocked a site's personal stats if they are only served thru them.

What I DO object to is the tracking of my surfing by a marketing company across the internet to gather information about what I'm doing and where I am going solely for the purpose of targeting ads to me.

Some might call it "marketing analysis" ... I call it SPYWARE!
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

I'll second that. I don't like companies "peeking over my shoulder" when I'm surfing the web, especially when they don't bother to ask my permission first. :evil:
Sheepy
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Sheepy »

:roll: I think I tend towards not blocking it. If Google Analytics is being blocked en masse by a popular plugin for a specific browser, the reported porportion of that particular browser is likely to be less then what it deserves. I am not entirely sure I want this.

But then, I don't really like being traced even if it is Google. I would have its cookie erased on browser close if I were not using its services. :evil:

And I block quite some web stat in my own list, too, which makes me wonder whether I have really think about it. Apparently no. :oops:
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I vote for blocking it too. I don't care what the site is I just don't feel like I should allow them to track, trace, or advertise to me just because I VISIT their site. If they feel it's required so be it block me and I won't be back end of story. Google is doing ok without my info.. trust me. :D
Peng
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Peng »

nilesh wrote:One suggestion/question:
Nope, having 15 dozen _utm* cookies in my carefully-pruned cookies list isn't an inconvenience at all......
Last edited by Peng on Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I think that blocking anything other than ads should be an opt-in thing. In the end webmasters (and not only them) need their statistics and not everybody is so much concerned about it.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Boy, this is getting tough.
I'm getting a 50/50 feel from users for blocking/not blocking these. Maybe I should just stick to out-and-out advertising and leave the 'market analysis" blocks out of the filters. I only have about half a dozen of them in there anyway.

Doing this would 'lighten' the filter and also NOT cause the "Smith College" link false-positive using *.webtrendslive.* (which, btw, I just removed) ... right Wladimir?
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

My plan for the big filter database (which, I hope, we are still going to make :) ) was to have several categories - like ads, stat scripts and element hiding - and let the user choose which ones he actually wants to subscribe to.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

So, Wladimir

Do you think that ABP is at the point where it could easily handle a large database of that magnitude now?

And what about older machines and memory requirements? Would those factors play in or are they irrelevant?

(just questions) :)
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

The thing that worries me most is the startup delay right now. Other than that we are fine - 5000 filters are absolutely no problem. I think I have a solution to the startup issue but this will take some time to be implemented. Meanwhile we can already start I think (we won't get thousands of filters overnight).
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I have removed some of the stats/tracking blocks for now.

Those could go right back in to the filters if this article has any truth to its prediction:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6131472.html

.... I will be watching :evil:
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Wladimir Palant wrote:... anything other than ads should be an opt-in thing. In the end webmasters (and not only them) need their statistics ...
I agree.

That said, I suspect Google Analytics goes way beyond helping the "little gal" figure out which end of her website is up...

I would choose to block Google Analytics!

Brad
Hint: I do not *routinely* check the mail box of this disposable address!
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Rick, could you list the ones your removed so I can add them to my personal list please. Thanks.

PS. Might be a good idea to have a place where you list added/removed filters for ones that liked them and had no issues with them. Just a thought.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

Bad Brad wrote:That said, I suspect Google Analytics goes way beyond helping the "little gal" figure out which end of her website is up...

I would choose to block Google Analytics!
I'll second that opinion. Here's what Google itself has to say about it:

Google Analytics is one way we invest in our advertisers and everyone else who wants to create quality content on the web. With Google Analytics, you can get started today creating targeted, ROI-driven marketing campaigns and improving your site design and content.
http://www.google.com/analytics/

Its primary function is advertising-related, even though it can be used for other purposes. If I can block a tool that web sites use to hone their ads, then I'm all for it.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Discussion continued in *PRIVATE*
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

After some deliberation and a little research, I have decided to KEEP certain "marketing analysis" strings in the list. The previously released strings have now been returned.

Post by Guest »

Thank god for that!
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

A wise decision, indeed!
Hint: I do not *routinely* check the mail box of this disposable address!
Sheepy
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Sheepy »

I recently finished an old game "Dex Ex 2: Invisible War", in it the protagonist was being tracked by someone.
When the protagonist complains of it, the reply is "your concept of privacy is outdated", that privacy is an illusion that inhabit people from sharing themselves and connect with each other, and that a new generation grown up in the lack of privacy will have no problem with it.

The first statement is not relevant to our age, the second I have reservation, but the last I'm certain holds some truth. It's happening right in my doorstep.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I hear ya Sheepy, happening everywhere really. Sad I think. All under the name of security. Funny I always thought of privacy as the first line of defense in security. Things sure have changed.. guess that means they won. :( at least to some degree.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I thought that I would post the final resolution here seeing that this post is linked from a couple of other sites.

This is my final decision:

All major 'tracking' filters have been removed from the EasyList subscription and have been added to a new subscription called the "ABP Tracking Filter" subscription.
This allows users to choose whether to block the major tracking sites or not simply by adding another small subscription (the easylist no longer contains these). This subscription will only be quietly marketed and may contain additions from other filter-makers to relieve them of these filters and the 'burden' of controversial conversations like this.

You can install the ABP Tracking Filter easily here:
http://easylist.adblockplus.org