I am absolutely thrilled!!!!!

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I am absolutely thrilled!!!!!

Post by rick752 »

I've just spent about 7 hours going to random google 'news' results for different search terms (tech,news, science, etc) all over english-speaking sites from all over the world.

Through the course of this , I have slightly adjusted and added to the EasyList. I am amazed at how much is being blocked EVERYWHERE around the globe with hardly any effort now. Most sites look amazingly 'clean' of ads.

With the exception of a few known false-positives, (which I will STILL leave the whitelisting up to the user) this filterset could not be 'humming' any better, afaict :D

It is SO tempting to start removing 'elements' from everywhere now, but we know that it would just be downright ridiculous to try to fix EVERYTHING!

So to my team of helpers ... thank YOU for helping to create these great filtersets that I consider to be the best ones out there right now! This is the first time I have just randomly gone to sites everywhere and ... wow! ... I am just amazed.

I never realized that it does as much at as many places as I saw :shock: ...
:wink: 8)

Now it's time to 'houseclean' the list .... I think that there may be a small 'wad' of useless filters. Time will tell.

ps: Odd, though, that I would be doing this on such a sad day in my home state of New York. I am also remembering that wonderful city that I go to from time to time, and the horror of what happened there 5 years ago. It's very difficult for me to look at this post date and not shed a tear :cry:
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

rick752 wrote:I've just spent about 7 hours going to random google 'news' results for different search terms (tech,news, science, etc) all over english-speaking sites from all over the world.

Through the course of this , I have slightly adjusted and added to the EasyList. I am amazed at how much is being blocked EVERYWHERE around the globe with hardly any effort now. Most sites look amazingly 'clean' of ads.

It is SO tempting to start removing 'elements' from everywhere now, but we know that it would just be downright ridiculous to try to fix EVERYTHING!
Yup, this is why I don't post here much anymore, it feels like the job is done. Which is odd, considering how comprehensive element hiding seems like it'd be a lot harder than object blocking.
You're right though, aside from trimming the filter list a bit, there's not much to do. I was overzealous at first because we were looking for filters that could apply to every page.