What filter lists do you use and why?

Discussion of topics related to ad blocking.
rhanajoy
AdBlock Community Manager

What filter lists do you use and why?

Post by rhanajoy »

Please let me know if this isn't the right place to post this or if it violates a forum rule. (I checked and it doesn't seem to.)

We're thinking about making it easier for our users to subscribe to additional filter lists. Right now they have to go find other filter lists and subscribe by their URLs. I'm advocating for making them available right on our filter lists page in AdBlock's options.

Trouble is, there are a TON of filter lists out there. I've been looking at the list available in uBO and those on filterlists.com. It's not really clear what they all do, or which particular users might find which lists most helpful. I'm hoping you can help. EasyList authors and people who frequent the EasyList forum must have a good understanding of the options available.

So, what filter lists do you use and what do they do for you? Other than EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Adblock Warning Removal, Antisocial, and Fanboy's Annoyances, that is; I'm pretty clear on what they do. :D

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Rhana

Posting on behalf of AdBlock (not ABP), when users come to us first and we have some reason to get involved with the discussion. http://help.getadblock.com
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

This is mine.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 4.07.14 PM.png
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

rhanajoy wrote:what filter lists do you use
- Adblock Warning Removal List
- Liste AR+Liste FR+EasyList
- EasyPrivacy
- Fanboy's Annoyances (includes Fanboy's Social Blocking List)
+
- EasyList Germany (Disable - added just for testing)
- EasyList Spanish (Disable - added just for testing)
rhanajoy wrote:there are a TON of filter lists out there.
Officially supported supplemental filter lists :
- https://easylist.to/pages/other-supplem ... iants.html
- https://adblockplus.org/subscriptions
rhanajoy wrote:what do they do for you
Which list is not clear and make you in trouble?
rhanajoy wrote:I'm advocating for making them available right on our filter lists page in AdBlock's options.
... Please take notice of the ticket #8778 (Remove Liste_AR+EasyList)
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Nothing special, all going through my secure.fanboy.co.nz/Cloudflare CDN also. There will be filter subs that will be turned off/on regularly during testing (false positive detection, Anti-adblock etc).
filters.png
diaux
EasyList Spanish Author
EasyList Spanish Author

Post by diaux »

EasyList
EasyList Spanish

That's all for me.
rhanajoy

Post by rhanajoy »

These are great suggestions, thanks, guys! Specifics:

@Lanik:
1. What's the difference between EasyPrivacy and Disconnect's Basic tracking list?
2. What exactly is Spam404? Is it checking for email servers known to be used by spammers the same way EasyList checks for known ad servers?

@smed79:
1. The basic, officially supported lists and the ones you yourself use are clear to me. It's the lists that are off the beaten track that I'm wondering about. I've suggested we make these new filter lists available only in advanced mode, so the folks using them won't need a lot of hand-holding. I'd really like to give them at least a brief description of each one, though. We also have a KB article that could use some fleshing out.
2. I asked our developer about the Liste AR+EasyList issue (issues/196). It's in the works. No ETA yet.

@fanboy:
1. What UI is that screenshot from? It doesn't look like any ad blocker I've come across (admittedly, I've only seen a few).
2. What are these lists: Anti-Facebook, Anti-thirdparty Fonts, Enhanced Tracking, Cookiemonster, problematic-sites? Do you find the Fake-News list useful and accurate?

Thanks again!
Rhana

Posting on behalf of AdBlock (not ABP), when users come to us first and we have some reason to get involved with the discussion. http://help.getadblock.com
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

@rhanajoy Not much difference the only thing I'm seeing it has some rules which EasyPrivacy doesn't right now.

You can see more info on Spam404 and uBO or ABP here: http://www.spam404.com/blog/block-onlin ... nd-adblock

I also have custom filter lists.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 11.03.16 AM.png
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Anti-Facebook; stop facebook from working outside of facebook. (tracking)
Anti-third-party fonts: stop external fonts (tracking)
Enhanced-tracking: blocks far more extreme trackers that are too problematic for Easyprivacy
Cookiemonster: stop cookie warning messages (also part of Annoyances list)
Problematic-sites: Defeat some Anti-adblock messages, that are often countered in Easylist. (also part of Enhanced list) Not officially as a separate list yet, will be soon.
rhanajoy

Post by rhanajoy »

Great information, guys. Thanks again!
Rhana

fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Now mirror changes from Enhanced list; Problematic sites list is now live.

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/filters.html

Any issues or sites to add, submit via github issues on my repo.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

All of [uBO's filters + Ads section + Privacy section + Malware Domains Section + Social Section + Multipurpose]

+

EU: Prebake Filter Obtrusive Cookie Notices + Adware Filters + Adguard Annoyances Filter + Block EU Cookie Shit List + Adguard English Filter + Adguard Experimental Filter + FB Annoyances Blocker + I don't care about cookies + Adguard Mobile Ads Filter + Privacy Filters + Simplified Domain Names Filter + Adguard Social Media Filter + Adguard Spyware Filter + uBlock Filters Plus + uBO-Personal-Filters + Youtube: Pure Video Experience

So a total of - 162,200 network filters + 87,111 cosmetic filters
rhanajoy

Post by rhanajoy »

Thanks for the update, @fanboy!

@-Mark-, ye gods and little fishes. Doesn't keeping that many filters in play slow down your browsing??
Rhana

-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

@rhanajoy That would have been the case if I wasn't using uBlock Origin. On the contrary, page loads as I blink my eyes.

It's called Fort Knoxing your browser.
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

-Mark- wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:24 amSo a total of - 162,200 network filters + 87,111 cosmetic filters
or... Simply do not surf the web :mrgreen:
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

smed79 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:17 am or... Simply do not surf the web :mrgreen:
yeah right :P
Moved from EasyList Subscriptions to Ad Blocking Topics on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:43 pm by LanikSJ

rivokl

Post by rivokl »

Why this different behavior for uBlock origin vs other ad blockers like AdBlockPlus?
notriddle

Post by notriddle »

EasyList
AdBlockPlus's "allow nonintrusive advertising"
Adblock Warning Removal List
Fanboy's Social Blocking List
NoCoin Filter List
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

You should use easyprivacy too (for a strong anti mining section but not only)