Will there be a changelog ?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.

Will there be a changelog ?

Post by Guest »

It would be cool to know which changes are made from one release to another.

Please have a look at http://www.pierceive.com/filtersetg/changelog.txt
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Cool for WHO?

On the one hand, I COULD make a public changelog for the regular EasyList filter if I could really think of one good reason. On the other hand, I CAN tell you right now that I will NEVER make one for the EasyElement filter. I have a problem with making TOO many things "public reading" (as we have already been burned a couple of times).

What I've learned lately with the blocking of ads is: "The quieter things are done and distributed, the better". Less disclosure from here means less rework for us. That's why we now discuss overall strategies in an "unseen", hidden forum here.

If G wants to publicly declare his changes, solutions, modifications, additions, subtractions and strategies that's up to him. How many viewers that visit forums like this do you think are major site owners that have advertising on their sites just looking for topics and adjustments on "their sites"? A changelog is like a 'hand-feeding' of the info. Sure, they could just go thru the filter list and try and figure out what is doing what and how to get around it ... but I'M certainly not gonna tell them. Maybe a lot of G's whitelisting is a direct result of his public discusssions and disclosures.. :wink:

Hmmm, I don't know. Most people can just come here or the Adblock Plus forum if they have a filter problem or question (it's not like there are a lot of problems here with the filters) ... average users really don't need to know what we've changed or added.

Actually, who really needs to know what I've added or changed besides my team? The average user would not read the changelog nor would they really care about a changelog ... or even know what one is. A changelog would only be useful for "diehard blockers" .... or others working on a similar project ... or advertising people. And I certainly don't feel the need to share ANY info unless they are a part of my development team or a 'trusted' member of this forum.

@ Guest: Why would YOU want one? It's not a program ... it has no features. If I made a filter that said:
"Added *rby/sl/*js*"
... would you know why?

Because saying anything more becomes "public info". I'm sure the advertisers would love to see a public changelog :wink:

EDIT: ps: I update my filters usually every few days. It would be more work typing a changelog than adding the filters. I may come up with a not-so-specific way of doing one, though. It's a fine line we walk here ... a dilemma .... you'd like to tell the users what you are doing ... but how do you do that without telling the advertisers?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I agree with you Rick. Average users don't care, the ones that do/would care can easy figure it out for them selfs. If you have a problem with a filterset it's easy to see what the problem is in adblock plus, because it list the filters that are blocking anything. Unless it's element hiding, and that's a different story. Then if you have a problem do like Rick says and ask here. He's quick to help.
Sheepy
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Sheepy »

While I agree that G's changelog does not worth the cost to maintain, I am wondering whether a changelog/topic about new sites that get cleaned would be useful. We know what's going on under the surface, but to the public it must be pretty quiet?