READ- Most blocking problems are in ABP settings

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

READ- Most blocking problems are in ABP settings

Post by rick752 »

A lot of blocking problems here come from Adblock Plus settings .. not from the EasyList(s):

Make sure you are running the latest filters and then go through this simple checklist before posting a problem. One of these may easily fix it.

1) Make sure that the "Check Banner Links" option in Adblock Plus 0.7 is turned OFF. It is blocking the item because of the link it goes through ... not because of the address of the item itself. Imo, this option should never be used.

2) Delete the default example */ads/* that comes pre-installed with Adblock Plus 0.7.
(starting with 0.7.0.2, this will not be a problem anymore)
*/ads/* will play havoc with Yahoo's Financial homepage if it exists in a filter list. This string would be at the very top of the filter list in the PREFERENCES area above any subscriptions that you have. It should be in the directory called "Advertisement filters".

If you are still having issues, THEN post.
Last edited by rick752 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Make sure that the "Check Banner Links" option in Adblock Plus 0.7 is turned OFF. ... (I think it is now OFF by default with the introduction of Adblock Plus 0.7.0.1).
Hi Rick,

I just installed ABP 0.7.0.1. "Check Banner Links" is still ON by default.

I'm running Fx 1.5.0.4 on Mac OS 10.4.6, in case that matters...

Once I figured out how to use it, I got a page loading HUGE speed boost! Wow!

BTW, NoScript and Update Notifier make excellent companions for Adblock Plus.

-- Brad
Last edited by Bad Brad on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hint: I do not *routinely* check the mail box of this disposable address!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Bad Brad wrote: Hi,
I just installed 0.7.0.1. "Check Banner Links" is still ON by default.

I'm running Fx 1.5.0.4 on Mac OS 10.4.6, in case that matters...
Thanx for that info .... I wasn't sure. I thought that Wladimir turned that feature off by default with the last update. Maybe not.

Welcome to our forums, Bad Brad. :)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Bad Brad wrote: Once I figured out how to use it, I got a page loading HUGE speed boost! Wow!
BTW, NoScript and Update Notifier make excellent companions for Adblock Plus.
-- Brad
Just out of curiousity Brad, were you using one of the other Adblock versions before you used this one?

ps: If you are using my filters, you could actually try not using Noscript because the filters do a pretty good job of blocking ad scripts alone (so I've been told).
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Hello again Rick,
Just out of curiousity Brad, were you using one of the other Adblock versions before you used this one?
No. I've got a decent 144 Kbps connection (Verizon Wireless celluar - Look Ma! NO wires!), but recently the ads got so honking huge that it was starting to really bog down my Mac. As a matter of standard policy I avoid any and all extensions (& haxies, too), having been severely burned in the past... But the buzz on ABP (and NoScript) was so good I decided to take a chance. (Update Notifier looked so simple I figured it was harmless, and it turned out to be actually useful.)

To be brutally honest, I would NOT have tried your filter if it wasn't built into ABP's suggestion list. :o
ps: If you are using my filters, you could actually try not using Noscript because the filters do a pretty good job of blocking ad scripts alone (so I've been told).
I use NoScript to block potential (invisible) malware that wouldn't necesarily appear on the radar of an ad blocker... Even with NoScript set for maximum blocking, numerous ads slip through (but you probably already know that). I really believe both tools are necessary and compliment each other nicely! I've only found a few sites where I needed to loosen NoScript's grip. That short list includes my EarthLink webmail page, my bank, and my TitanTV account.

It has been said that I'm a paranoid dude. I won't dispute that. On the other hand, my Macs have *never* been compromised by any virus, trojan, worm or hacker, and I've been using Macs since May of 1992. :D

In fact, that paranoia is behind the disposable email address I use for public forums...

--Brad
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

I just noticed that IceDogg says he also uses NoScript. Perhaps he would care to comment...

Hmm... Maybe we should make this a new topic!

-- Brad
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Bad Brad wrote:
To be brutally honest, I would NOT have tried your filter if it wasn't built into ABP's suggestion list. :o
:D Unlike some other filtermakers, I really do not do a lot of self-promoting. The EasyList can be selected from Adblock Plus 0.7 because Wladimir (the author) liked it and put it in. I have a fairly large number of users and I update it and repair it constantly (also unlike other filtermakers).
It has been said that I'm a paranoid dude. I won't dispute that. On the other hand, my Macs have *never* been compromised by any virus, trojan, worm or hacker, and I've been using Macs since May of 1992. :D

In fact, that paranoia is behind the disposable email address I use for public forums...

--Brad
I have also been told the same thing. I reject cookies, block everything I don't like, don't run java.

I can tell you one thing though ... if you want to use your regular email in the profile, you can 'turn off' showing it in posts. This will benefit you by notifying you of Private Message or a reply to your topic posts without having it published. And if you are concerned about having it 'stored' here in the database, let me assure you that this site is running on a 900Mz Athlon pc in my friend Rich's basement (the owner). We really have no use for your email address ... we are not spammers. He does this as a hobby and I use it for filter list support.

It's actually nice to read from a Mac user. I don't know if we actually have anyone in here that uses one.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I agree Brad, while adblock plus 0.7.x with Rick's filterset does a great job of blocking ads, NoScript is a MUST have for blocking bad stuff that adblock doesn't cover, nor should it. If you look at the last vulnerabilities in Firefox all but one used javascript to work. With NoScript I have no worries.

And I agree with Rick too, I NEVER use java, period. No site I ever thought was worth anything needed it. I don't have it installed on my system and never will.

I'm like you Brad I'm paranoid (to some) and take security very seriously. If I was to mention what all steps I take I'm sure even you would laugh. hehe. I also don't allow sites to set cookies unless I trust the site.. which is VERY few.
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

... Private Message or a reply to your topic posts without having it published.
I'll keep that in mind, in case a "situation" arises. Meanwhile I'll just leave it as is.
And if you are concerned about having it 'stored' here in the database,
No. If *that* was an issue, I would have posted as an anonymous guest.
It's actually nice to read from a Mac user. I don't know if we actually have anyone in here that uses one.
Thanks! With the advent of Intel-based Macs that can boot from XP, that may change. The "Wintel" crowd may finally have a good reason to check out Macs... (I hope!)

IceDogg, thanks for the comments!

Rick, is there a way to make the signature stay selected? Every time I post I have to reselect it.

-- Brad
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Bad Brad wrote:
Rick, is there a way to make the signature stay selected? Every time I post I have to reselect it.

-- Brad
Should be a setting in your profile .... it's not doing automatically?

EDIT: I fixed it for you.
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Man, I'm glad you mentioned that! I was beginning to think maybe I was hallucinating!

Thanks!

--Brad
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Bad Brad wrote:
Man, I'm glad you mentioned that! I was beginning to think maybe I was hallucinating!

Thanks!

--Brad
:lol: :lol: Sorry.....

Post by Guest »

Hi there,

New version of ABP is out (0.7.1.2), but the option "Check banner links" is activated by default..! Why? :?:

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Anonymous wrote: New version of ABP is out (0.7.1.2), but the option "Check banner links" is activated by default..! Why? :?:
Afaik, it always WAS turned on by default. That's something you need to ask Wladimir on the adblockplus.org forum.

Personally, I don't recommend it being on ... but that's because I design my filters to NOT use it. I've already had a couple of problems with people who leave it on.

Post by Guest »

Hey,

ok, thx for your quick answer.

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON