Opening up the repository of EasyList

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
funkydude

Opening up the repository of EasyList

Post by funkydude »

Do you have plans to open up or expand access of the repository to more people?

It's quite clear that the sheer amount of reports coming in is just too much for the current team and quite frankly I'd rather contribute directly, instead of bumping topics for 3 months.
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

Everyone that suggest good filters and is willing to contribute is welcome.
funkydude

Post by funkydude »

Great, where does one sign up? I will only be contributing email trackers.
funkydude

Post by funkydude »

Is forking the only solution?
Lazzziz

Post by Lazzziz »

It does appear that the current team is overwhelmed.

If you are looking for email trackers, here's one to add:
||cpro30.com/Tracking

I'll submit it as well, but given that there is no demonstration page, I don't know if anyone will add it to the repo.
funkydude

Post by funkydude »

When your team is overwhelmed you generally take more people in. That's not the feeling I'm getting I'm afraid.

Now the question is to start a fork on github and simply merge easylist changes back in or to create a dedicated email trackers list.
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by barbaz »

funkydude wrote:create a dedicated email trackers list.
That is the more constructive approach IMO, also most likely for people to pick up your subscription that way.

Make your own dedicated list and you're not competing with EasyPrivacy; you're also not forcing people to use "EasyPrivacy" (in some form) alongside your list if they only want to block email trackers but not web trackers.

Adding another subscription is easy. If I want a subscription with stated purpose, I just look at what requests they're whitelisting, and if I'm OK with it, add the subscription.
On the other hand replacing an existing subscription isn't something to just do - have to look at all the alternatives, read their written policies (if any), and decide which is best based on a number of factors.

If you want, you can, of course, make a note saying you intend your subscription to work alongside EasyPrivacy (unofficial supplementary subscription). Then you really won't have any reason to duplicate filters already in EasyPrivacy, and your users will be sure they know how to get the most out of your list while not being bound to that.

Just my 2 cents, as a power user of this stuff. :-)
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

funkydude wrote:Great, where does one sign up? I will only be contributing email trackers.
There isn't really a way to sign up. If there are contributors suggesting good filters regularly, we might ask her/him to join us.

I'll check back with the other authors what they think.

Sorry for the late response!
funkydude

Post by funkydude »

barbaz wrote:That is the more constructive approach IMO, also most likely for people to pick up your subscription that way.

Make your own dedicated list and you're not competing with EasyPrivacy; you're also not forcing people to use "EasyPrivacy" (in some form) alongside your list if they only want to block email trackers but not web trackers.
Yeap that makes the most sense.
MonztA wrote:
funkydude wrote:Great, where does one sign up? I will only be contributing email trackers.
There isn't really a way to sign up. If there are contributors suggesting good filters regularly, we might ask her/him to join us.

I'll check back with the other authors what they think.

Sorry for the late response!
Good filters is not my speciality, working filters is :-) If there is documentation somewhere of the most efficient way of creating rules then I'm all for it. Do you guys have a freenode channel or something?
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

funkydude wrote:Good filters is not my speciality, working filters is :-) If there is documentation somewhere of the most efficient way of creating rules then I'm all for it. Do you guys have a freenode channel or something?
There is this ABP documentation here: https://adblockplus.org/en/filters But it's not very focused on efficiency it seems. You could also try Famlam's redundancy checker which can show you some opimization tips.

No, we don't have such a channel.