Mess in Filterlist

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
AdWarrior

Mess in Filterlist

Post by AdWarrior »

Guys … as most i have a look deep into the filter lists, it aggravates the hell out of me. It is … in my eyes … a big mess because i can no really see a orderliness in this lists. People subscribing this lists and because they don't really know that much about it they subscribing to much. And as a matter of fact, it slows AdBlock(Plus) down.
And at the end, most of all subscribers doesn't really need all this filters at all. And in case of all this exception you made in this filters … they may have negative effect on other sites. At the End … your Filterlist grows like hell and will be … uncontrollable.

What's gonna happen, it you (Filter Development Team) redesign the filter list by the following orderliness (It's just an idea)

First … as you already did, make a (global)list of all advertising domains that acts "globally". For example doubleclick.net acts worldwide. But some add-domains are action only on specific areas in the world. (For example ad.71.de acts only in german language areas)

Second … after this (global)list do a selection of language areas and block advertising domains by default language area. In there, just list those advertising domains that really acts in this language area. (ad.71.de --> Germany, Austria, Swiss)

Maybe you make differences in between using flash player or not! Thats for a lot of users important. Why should i subscribe a list that blocks a lot of flash advertisings if i do not wearing flash? As specially Mac OS X Users doesn't use flash because it is not installed by default.

Third … give people more list which are … categorized bei interests (Games, News, Gossip, Social Media …) "OR" offer them lists to subscribe for every single sites. Give users the ability to subscribe just only those filters which are working on their favorite sites. And in case the specific site changes it's layout in total from scratch … you don't have to much work to find out whats bin changed. Just delete the filters for this specific site and make them new. … Done.

I know, this … sounds like a lot of work to do for the filter development team, but at the end … you saving time in developing filters and removing old filters.
This … is just an idea. As i walked a while thru the forum and read what people like to blocked and what is blocked to much and and and … WOW its tremendous.

Personally "I" do not subscribe to any offered list. I develop my own Filters for my personal surfing / web behavior. And what should i say … no advertising … much more efficient then with your subscribed filters … and … My lat contains less the 1.000 Filters instead if i look into your filters … there are a (felt) couple hundred billions … 

Now … Think about that. If you deciding to follow this ideas, let me know, maybe i can help with some more ideas.

Regards … AdWarrior
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

AdWarrior wrote:First … as you already did, make a (global)list of all advertising domains that acts "globally". For example doubleclick.net acts worldwide. But some add-domains are action only on specific areas in the world. (For example ad.71.de acts only in german language areas)

Second … after this (global)list do a selection of language areas and block advertising domains by default language area. In there, just list those advertising domains that really acts in this language area. (ad.71.de --> Germany, Austria, Swiss)
Maybe I got it wrong but we are doing this already.
AdWarrior wrote:Maybe you make differences in between using flash player or not! Thats for a lot of users important. Why should i subscribe a list that blocks a lot of flash advertisings if i do not wearing flash? As specially Mac OS X Users doesn't use flash because it is not installed by default.
I don't think that's worth the effort and maintenance.
AdWarrior wrote:Third … give people more list which are … categorized bei interests (Games, News, Gossip, Social Media …) "OR" offer them lists to subscribe for every single sites. Give users the ability to subscribe just only those filters which are working on their favorite sites. And in case the specific site changes it's layout in total from scratch … you don't have to much work to find out whats bin changed. Just delete the filters for this specific site and make them new. … Done.
I cannot think of any way we could maintain such an approach.
AdWarrior wrote:...but at the end … you saving time in developing filters and removing old filters.
I believe it's rather the opposite to be honest.
AdWarrior wrote:I develop my own Filters for my personal surfing / web behavior. And what should i say … no advertising … much more efficient then with your subscribed filters … and … My lat contains less the 1.000 Filters instead if i look into your filters … there are a (felt) couple hundred billions … 
Well, that's not surprising, is it? ;-) Your custom filters are tailored for your personal browing behaviour and not for millions of users.

Hopefully we will get filter hit statistics from Adblock Plus users soon. This should help a lot to get rid of obsolete filters.
AdWarrior

Post by AdWarrior »

Well i think my Idea is not that bad but let us wait what others think about this …
AdWarrior

Post by AdWarrior »

Well i reviewed my posting an i think i did not expressed my self correctly.

Fist The Globally Filters contains ONLY DOMAINS no element hidings or exceptions, just DOMAINS for globally Advertisers.

Second, The language defined Filters lists Domains & typically Advertising elements for this language area. Named elements for Advertisings take different names in different countries.

Third. Filters for specific sites oder categorized sites can now contain all missing Element Hidings and Exception and site specific script blockers.
That would keep the amount of filters to subscribe much lower then what people stores now in their system.

Unfortunately … now other is commenting this thread so … it seem like no one other is agreeing to me.
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by barbaz »

AdWarrior wrote:Fist The Globally Filters contains ONLY DOMAINS no element hidings or exceptions, just DOMAINS for globally Advertisers.
someone else is already doing that one

https://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions
find "Peter Lowe's list"