Fanboy Enhanced Tracking

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.

Fanboy Enhanced Tracking

Post by guest »

I've noticed that the Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking list has a "Personal Filters" section which is mostly hiding rules. With the possible exception of mouse pointer tracking, hiding page elements doesn't help block tracking at all (it actually makes a user *more* identifiable, if the website is being nasty), and these hiding rules don't appear to be targeting mouse pointer tracking. Was the "Personal Filters" section include by mistake? Could it please be removed from the Enhanced Tracking subscription?
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Without the need for creating yet another list, it's easier to keep this in Enhanced List. Basically stuff that wouldn't be added to Easylist goes there, its safe.
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by barbaz »

That reasoning makes sense, but why not put those filters in the Annoyances list instead?

(I was the guest)
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by barbaz »

Just realized that since I also use EasyList without element hiding rules and EasyPrivacy, another solution to this could be to offer Fanboy Complete list without element hiding rules. That also has the added benefit of making subscription management easier, as there would be two less entries to keep track of, and it wouldn't be prone to the issues that ABP on Firefox currently has with element hiding.
Given that EasyList without element hiding rules is script-generated (correct?), is it possible/realistic to offer Fanboy Complete list without element hiding rules?
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Not curently, I would add the lists manually instead of using the complete list (in your case).