Fanboy social popup and flyout list (suggestion)

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Tanookirby
Contributor
Contributor

Fanboy social popup and flyout list (suggestion)

Post by Tanookirby »

I think making another branch of Fanboy's Annoyance List that blocks only social popups and article flyouts would be useful. Some people might prefer using it if they still want the flash buttons for sharing pages.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Not sure if it would benefit many people, generally 2 groups the users who hate all annoyances and those who just hate social content.

I don't see a need for it? Maybe the only thing I could see in the future is people who want an Annoyances list without the social list as an option.
pure_by

Post by pure_by »

Hello Fanboy, first of all big thanks for the great work you're doing.

I think splitting Annoyances and Social list makes perfect sense. In my case, I've unsubscribed from your Annoyances list exactly because of that reason: I would love to prevent websites displaying annoying in-page pop-ups and fly-outs, but I want to keep the Social media buttons intact because I consider them part of website's static design and not annoying at all. Moreover, many websites link to their YouTube channels or Contact pages using those buttons, so removing them breaks website's intended navigation and usability.

I don't see any reason why a discrete link to a YouTube-channel at the bottom of the page is considered an "annoyance" of the same level as ALL-IN-YOUR-FACE-OVER-THE-CONTENT-FLY-OVER-IN-PAGE-POP-UP, if you know what I mean.

Wouldn't it be much wiser and more user-friendly to maintain those 2 lists separately? I mean, some people want more salt on their dish, others want more pepper, and others want both. Shouldn't everyone be able to decide for themselves?

I hope this will become reality one day.
Thanks again for the great work! Keep it up!
pure_by

Post by pure_by »

There is also a second reason why splitting Anoyances and Social filters would be more preferable for the average user: it will prevent all the confusion around current "if you subscribe to filter X, you should unsubscribe from filter Y because Y is already included in X" situation.

New situation would be a lot easier to understand: just install AdBlock, choose any filters you like, et voilà!
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Flyouts aren't just Annoyance only, see this commit. Which is a social annoyance more than anything else. Based on Annoyances-only list you'd want these type flyout's also but its a social-flyout element.

Trying to maintain to 2 lists with some common-core values becomes more of burden for authors, and becomes confusing because some people who use social only vs Annoyances-seperated only like some fly-outs/css distractions. The way its structured seems the best.

The list is open source, you're free to script and host an Annoyances-list without the social element. Just won't be supported directly by us.
pure_by

Post by pure_by »

Thanks for the quick reply, Fanboy.

I still entirely disagree with your statement that a simple link to any social media page is an "annoyance". I guess this is true if you are annoyed by the social media itself, but this has nothing to do with having an annoying element on a webpage that prevents you from using the website in a desired way (like an advertisement that pops up in front of the text while I'm still reading).

Annoying content and annoying form are 2 absolutely different things. The core difference is that the first matter is subjective while the latter can be objectively defined. Social media may be annoying because of all the stupid people sharing all their stupid thoughts, I agree, but it does not physically hinder me from using whatever website it's included on.

As far as maintaining of the lists, I am not that technical, so I didn't know that social media links have very similar structure under the hood compared to "annoyances". I still find it very hard to believe that a simple link has the same code as an advanced in-page-JavaScript-powered-element, but if it is — for some reason — true, I guess this justifies bringing both lists under the same umbrella. Anyway, no matter how your lists are organized it's your call and what you're doing is absolutely awesome and I am very thankful to you for maintaining the lists the way you do. So thanks again!
pure_by

Post by pure_by »

Just a small illustration to show what I mean exactly:

[img width=1280 height=480]http://i.imgur.com/fPdZ6Xm.png[/img]

(Link)