YouTube in Fanboy's Social list

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
eighty5cacao
Contributor
Contributor

YouTube in Fanboy's Social list

Post by eighty5cacao »

It appears that Fanboy's social-networking list has filters to block various kinds of YouTube icons. Could you explain why you consider YouTube to be primarily/significantly a social network, as I personally don't? (Generally, I prefer to know whether a website owner has a YouTube channel without having to use View Source or a general search engine to find the link.)

Could we consider making the YouTube filters exclusive to the Annoyances list?

This has nothing to do with false positives on YouTube itself - I have not observed any.

(Sorry I'm not yet registered on Fanboy's forum, or I would have posted there. But perhaps we should establish some guidelines on this matter, in case someone decides to start their own anti-social-networking list?)
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I guess the good thing about youtube's social stuff, it doesn't show up initially (unless you click on the "share" tab), would be different if it showed the social stuff by default.

I'm probably willing to whitelist the 2 elements on youtube.. I can see how the most popular video sharing site would have issues with the social list.

Code: Select all

###share-services-container
##.share-group
eighty5cacao
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eighty5cacao »

Sorry for the absence.
I meant YouTube icons on third-party sites, not within YouTube itself (to which I didn't even pay attention):

I was referring to filters such as:

Code: Select all

-icon-youtube.
/btn-youtube-
/Button-YouTube.
/buttons/youtube.gif
(and a few others of which I'm not entirely sure).

Is there an official definition somewhere of what you consider a social network vs. an annoyance? My idea is that any site whose purpose is the production of significant non-text content (including Flickr as well as YouTube) should not be considered a social network, but I can see why you might disagree.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Youtube icons outside of youtube would be considered social, given that most sites group other social icons including youtube,vimeo,flickr icons why would it be treated any differently?

If we start playing favourites (I use social site X and Y, but want others blocked..), then the social list becomes rather a pointless list.