Redirect Adversity

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Redirect Adversity

Post by Hubird »

I no longer have the passion I used to for maintaining my own lists, I would like to apply the following redirects.

Any objections?

Adversity --> EasyList + EasyPrivacy

Antisocial --> Fanboy's Social Blocking List

Extreme Measures --> Fanboy Annoyances List

Adversity Complete --> Fanboy Ultimate Adblock

Also if someone knows the exactly what's involved in this can they please provide an example command, I had a quick search but could not find much.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

https://adblockplus.org/en/filters#special-comments

Code: Select all

! Redirect: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

Cheers.

I'd like to make sure there are no objections from any of the EasyList authors before I go ahead.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Bit sad, end of an era Hubird!

No issues with the redirection, the suggested lists for the redirect seem fine also.
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

I like being able to do things my way (as I am sure everyone can appreciate) but at the end of the day it is better for everyone if there is many people improving one list rather than many people trying to go it on their own.

I'll sort it out when I get home tonight.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Would prefer if you use this instead of the secure.fanboy mirror

https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy+easylist.txt
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

All point to EasyList servers now except for

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/r/fanboy-ultimate.txt
Couldn't see an easylist-downloads mirror for that.

Post by guest »

I understand your decision Hubird, and I have no problem with it, but just wanted to point out that now there is no available social blocking subscription that can be used to protect user's privacy as well. Many of the whitelists in Fanboy's social and annoyance lists, e.g. these:

@@||facebook.com/plugins/like.php?$domain=gmx.net|gu-facebook.appspot.com|home.1und1.de|web.de
@@||facebook.com/plugins/likebox.php?$domain=colbertnation.com|thedailyshow.com
@@||facebook.com/plugins/recommendations.php?$subdocument,domain=techcrunch.com
@@||facebook.com/widgets/like.php?$domain=farmville.com|likearea.com
@@||fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share$domain=jamendo.com
@@||gigya.com/gs/i/shareBar/icons/$image
@@||gigya.com/gs/sso.htm$domain=redbull.com|tomshardware.com
@@||i.po.st/static/v3/post-widget.js$domain=seenive.com
@@||platform.linkedin.com/in.js$domain=businessinsider.com|globalpost.com
@@||platform.twitter.com/anywhere.js?$domain=ge.tt|mtv.com|pennsundayschool.com|projects.wsj.com|soychile.cl
@@||platform.twitter.com/widgets.js$domain=agame.com|beatsbydre.com|breal.tv|businessinsider.com|cbsnews.com|cnet.com|complex.com|delfi.lt|egotastic.com|fansided.com|globalpost.com|guardian.co.uk|guildwars2.com|hoopsworld.com|huffingtonpost.com|ign.com|livestream.com|mandatory.com|neowin.net|nydailynews.com|nzherald.co.nz|pawnation.com|pennsundayschool.com|puma.de|reddit.com|refinery29.com|salon.com|simcity.com|soychile.cl|spielen.com|storify.com|sueddeutsche.de|teamliquid.net|theawl.com|thedailyshow.com|theguardian.com|theroot.com|toplessrobot.com|wikia.com|wwe.com|yahoo.com
@@||platform.twitter.com/widgets.js?$domain=zeit.de
inherently allow social sites to track people. This is a problem because social sites are notorious for tracking EVERYONE, including non-users, in all possible ways, and I don't want to support such practices by allowing my browser to request resources on their servers.
Hubird worked around this issue by adding domain exceptions to filters whenever possible instead of using whitelists; that way it was easy to extend the subscription with custom filters, and the whitelists that were left changed little enough that keeping all of them disabled on my end was reasonable.

@fanboy and other EasyList authors: could you please (a) refactor the social and annoyance lists to replace whitelists with domain exceptions as described above, or (b) offer a variant of the social/annoyance lists without any whitelists? (It is not a problem for me to make whitelist filters as I need them.)
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I'll look through the above whitelists this weekend. It would depend whats considered broken.. but I don't mind reviewing it.

Post by guest »

Thanks fanboy, much appreciated.
(Note that for the sake of conciseness, I did *not* list *all* the filters that obviously expose users to social tracking.
I'm looking specifically at any filters that whitelist items coming directly from social servers or their CDNs.)
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

Whitelists are a very easy way for list maintainers to ensure that pages work as they should and EasyList being the default ad blocking list (and having Easy in it's name!) has to take a safe approach.

Having said that it does make it difficult for people who want more extreme blocking, domain exceptions and rule re-jigging are options that should be considered when a false positive is noticed.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

guest,

The only the reason the whitelist's are there because the filters were causing issues on those sites.

I've looked through the Hubird's whitelists also, and they're either not applicable (gigya.com/js/socialize.js isn't blocked since gigya is problematic) or the site has changed since it was added.

Post by guest »

fanboy wrote:guest,

The only the reason the whitelist's are there because the filters were causing issues on those sites.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I never thought that any of the whitelists were added for any reason other than that. I know that sometimes blocking these things can have adverse effects and I don't doubt the list maintainers' integrity, I just happen to be one of those people who, as Hubird said, "want more extreme blocking" since extreme blocking is the only way to stop social tracking.
What I was asking is basically, is it feasible to use domain exceptions instead of whitelists? (Sounds like not...)

@Hubird: What is your attitude toward forks of your lists?
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

You are welcome to fork.

Or continue it as is (who know, I may use it!).
ant
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ant »

Thanks Hubird for the work. :)
Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx).
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

ant wrote:Thanks Hubird for the work. :)
Well, maybe not just yet ..
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

The problem with the redirects is it stopped me from using the lists.

Not really interested in taking suggestions and such but I've found for the type of sites I visit it suits me better than the other lists.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Or do what I did, and have a unofficial supplemental list to Easylist for stuff that doesn't fit in the main list..