A subforum for annoyance list?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
anonymous74100
Latvian List Author
Latvian List Author

A subforum for annoyance list?

Post by anonymous74100 »

Since the merge of EasyList and Fanboy's list is finally finished, shouldn't there now be a subforum for the annoyance list?
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

I think we can simply use the existing subforums and rename the description of the Filter suggestions forum to "Filter suggestions to remove adverts, tracking, empty elements, social media integration and other annoyances.".
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Annoyance/social additions wouldn't overload the current setup?
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

I think it would be ok.
anonymous74100
Latvian List Author
Latvian List Author

Post by anonymous74100 »

I think creating a new subforum would be better as it would increase discoverability of annoyance list and social blocking list.
If you only alter the description of "Filter Suggestions" subforum, people might not notice that.
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

Famlam & Khrin, what do you think?
Famlam
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Famlam »

Well, it's not a biggy for me, but well... since you ask for it, I'll give you something to read :twisted:

I don't think it is necessary to create a new forum for annoyances/social. I think most reports here are clear enough to understand if people talk about tracking, social, ads or anything else, and unlike the ABP reports, people quite often return to us if we ask a question. I'm also not convinced that more subforums would improve the usability of this forum. Last but not least, I don't think it would serve much of a purpose to promote the social/annoyances lists here; I don't think a forum is the first place people would look, and they'd have to search for easylist.adblockplus.org or the known subscriptions list anyway to subscribe to them.

What I do think however, about the current setup, is that it's not exactly the most easy setup to understand if you're an inexperienced user. The amount of 'Moved: *" topics kind of supports this I think. Here's what I mean:
  • "Filter suggestions": suggests that users should go there to suggest a filter. Most (new) users have no clue about how to write filters, and based upon the description only I wouldn't visit that forum either if I was a new user.
  • "False positive reports": I think "false positive" is a rather technical term; the description however makes up for that
  • "Content blocking": yeah, this would be the place where I'd report ads if I fell for the issue regarding having to actually suggest a filter as described above. "Miscellaneous content blocking discussion" isn't helping a lot in making it clearer, since this could be anything. This would be a good explanation about why the first page is almost half filled with moved topics.
  • "EasyList subscriptions": the information and questions part in the description, well, isn't it a question too whether something is an ad or how to get rid of something? There's a huge overlap with the things that could (should?) end up in the "Content blocking" forum or even the "Filter suggestions" one
(I'm not including the other subforums in the discussion here: I'm fine with the setup of the hidden forums (although I guess the merger one may be removed sooner or later), and really, the part below "The Internet" doesn't bother me at all, but isn't really used either :P )

Having said that, I still don't think you have enough to read, so I'll also waste your time with possible suggestions, that IMO should make it easier for the user, since it's being discussed anyway (bold = suggested title, italics = suggested description):
  • EasyList Subscriptions
    General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
    No change here
  • Report unblocked content
    Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
    This would replace "Filter suggestions"
  • Report incorrectly removed content
    This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
    This would replace "False positive reports"
  • IMO "Content blocking" can be removed, moving the current topics to "EasyList Subscriptions"
Khrin
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Khrin »

I never realized like now how much my mind is so weak. Famlam, I hate you!
Famlam
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Famlam »

?
Khrin
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Khrin »

You are too much convincing for me, before reading your post I was thinking: "What would be the problem with another new subforum? Why not having one more?" and now you have brought to me new doubts. And then I was blaming myself (lately my favourite activity).
Famlam
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Famlam »

Can I convince you to stop blaming yourself, if that helps? As far as I understand, I see no reason why you would be blaming yourself; every opinion counts.
Also, I would like to convince you to either not declare hate on a person, or, if it's sarcastic, make sure that that is clear from the message (by putting a smiley after it, for example). But don't blame yourself for this..!
(lately my favourite activity)
I don't know why this is your favorite activity, but regardless of the cause, I would suggest choosing a different activity, because these kind of activities make me worried...
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

Famlam wrote:Having said that, I still don't think you have enough to read, so I'll also waste your time with possible suggestions, that IMO should make it easier for the user, since it's being discussed anyway (bold = suggested title, italics = suggested description):
  • EasyList Subscriptions
    No change here
  • Report unblocked content
    Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
    This would replace "Filter suggestions"
  • Report incorrectly removed content
    This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
    This would replace "False positive reports"
  • IMO "Content blocking" can be removed, moving the current topics to "EasyList Subscriptions"
I like the idea. Any objections?
Khrin
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Khrin »

Famlam wrote:Can I convince you to stop blaming yourself, if that helps? As far as I understand, I see no reason why you would be blaming yourself; every opinion counts.
Also, I would like to convince you to either not declare hate on a person, or, if it's sarcastic, make sure that that is clear from the message (by putting a smiley after it, for example). But don't blame yourself for this..!
True, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Returning to the topic, I like a lot the your solution, highlighted also by MonztA.
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

Fanboy, what do you think about Famlam's suggestions?
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I guess it seems okay, only reason why I created a sub forum was to avoid annoyances/social stuff polluting ad requests
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

Done.