EasyList Forum to close ... [obviously resolved]

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

EasyList Forum to close ... [obviously resolved]

Post by rick752 »

The EasyList Forum for Adblock Plus at richsterling.com will close in the near future. TBA

Don't worry the subscriptions are fine ... it's only the current EasyList Forum itself that is closing :D

My good friend, Rich (the site owner of richsterling.com) has informed me that he needs his server for other purposes. I am incredibly grateful to Rich for maintaining and evolving this forum into the EasyList Forum from what started between him and I as a "hobby" forum. For those of you who don't know, this server resides in Rich's basement and was just something he experimented with just to see if he could do it. It started almost 2 years ago. I started using it for conversation with the small amount of EasyList users I had at the time ... but as most of you know, it has grown quite large over time. The forum was created even BEFORE I had the current association with Adblock Plus.

But now Rich needs to use his server for other purposes ... and after having a nice dinner with him last weekend we have decided to shut down the forum soon. I still can't thank him enough for what he has put into the forum ... he is indeed a very good friend for maintaining it for so long :D . His forum is actually much nicer than most others I have been on (not bad for a "hobbyist"). We are going to make a date soon, have dinner (and a few beers) at his house, and then pull the plug on the server :cry: . I can't thank him enough for the almost 2 years he has given to me from his 'hobby site'.

So if anyone who owns a forum would like to also be "The Official Forum of the EasyList for Adblock Plus" to liven up their forum a bit, just drop me a line. I will entertain all proposals (preferably from a forum with no ads :) ). If no offers come up, I will still be able to be reached through the Adblock Plus Forum and DSL Reports Forums. For anyone who is interested in hosting this topic, I only need a main topic area and 3 sub-categories to receive filter suggestions and discuss related ABP subjects. No filter subscriptions will be served from there ... those all still come from adblockplus.org.

(I'm sure gonna miss that private area in my own forum though :( )
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

oh man, that's sad! Will you have any type of site up anymore Rich? Sorry to see it end. But I do understand.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

After much decision-making through some great (and somewhat surprising) offers, I have made a decision where the forum will now move to.

The new home of the Easylist Forum will soon be:
http://forums.lanik.us/

I want to thank Lanik for his nice offer and I hope we can equally enjoy the site together. :mrgreen:
I also would like to thank all others who made an offer to host this .... there are some incredibly terrific people on the internet! I would direct all posts to adblockplus.org for the time being until a transition is complete.

This is the kind of internet that I love ... NOT the over-commercialized "where's mine" version! :roll:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Hey Rich ... come on in and pound this forum for what it's worth before the shutdown. I hope you will help Lanik set up if he needs help. I gave him your email address so he could write if he needs to.

Too bad about the shutdown ... this site was becoming really nice thanx to your work on it. You done yourself proud here, buddie. Gonna miss it :cry:

You've GOT to BBQ something for me so I will feel better, ya'know. "Pizza in a cup?" :wink:
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

rick752 wrote:The new home of the Easylist Forum will soon be:
http://forums.lanik.us/
Great!

Rich, thank you very much for your kind hospitality over the years!

rick: Are there any plans to transfer the current content of this forum to the new one?
In theory, it should be as easy as copying a file containing the DB dump.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

rick752 wrote:I want to thank Lanik for his nice offer and I hope we can equally enjoy the site together. :mrgreen:
You're welcome everyone. The forums are up in no time thanks to my hosts be patient as I go through growing pains but it should be stable shortly, I hope.

-Lanik
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

chewey wrote: rick: Are there any plans to transfer the current content of this forum to the new one?
In theory, it should be as easy as copying a file containing the DB dump.
Yes. But Lanik hit a bump in the road trying to upgrade from phpbb2 to 3 so he had to start from scratch again.

@ Lanik ... don't worry about the upgrade if it is a problem. I hope that the old posts are backward compatible ... that's my only concern.

@ rbsterli ... what happened with that, Rich? Any idea? I could see Lanik's upgrade program on his forums index page last night. Weird.
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

phpBB upgrades do not like modded forums. I see Lanik is using phpBB Styles and that may have something to do with it. I suggest installing 3 from scratch or I will zip up what we have and it can be downloaded and just extracted to the new host server, then export our data which can also be downloaded. Since it looks like Lanik's db is toast, I suggest a fresh reinstall or do the file copy.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I'll be tinkering with it over the weekend. Right now I'm going to do a fresh install and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Forums are up now with phpBB 3.0 RC5 at http://forums.lanik.us :mrgreen:
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I ran into quite a snag here. I see this board is on MySQL 4.1.16 and I'm on MySQL 5.0.45 so when I try to import the forum database this is what I get:

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/acp/acp_database.php o' at line 1 [1064]

SQL

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/acp/acp_database.php</b> on line <b>489</b>: <b>ob_start() [<a href='ref.outcontrol'>ref.outcontrol</a>]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'</b><br /> # # phpBB Backup Script # Dump of tables for phpbb_ # DATE : 22-09-2007 04:12:21 GMT # # Table: phpbb_acl_groups DROP TABLE IF EXISTS phpbb_acl_groups

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 158
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_error()

FILE: includes/acp/acp_database.php
LINE: 317
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

FILE: includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 463
CALL: acp_database->main()

FILE: adm/index.php
LINE: 74
CALL: p_master->load_active()
Any ideas?
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

I backed up structure and data, let me try just data.

Lanik - Same url and file name as before. (for the data file)

All I can tell from that error output is that it appears to be related to the admin control panel database. Not much help.
I would try the import through something like phpmyadmin rather than the forum utility. I am onlt RC3 you are at 5, the structure is probably different. Try just the data import though...
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

Do you guys use any IM, Jabber, Skype to communicate?
Life's 3 rules: 1. Stuff happens 2. Stuff happens on a regular basis 3. Better get used to the first two... (not the actual saying but you get the drift)
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

orph4824 wrote:Do you guys use any IM, Jabber, Skype to communicate?
I use AIM at home (rbsterli) and Spark jabber client at work.... :idea: MUCH easier for the quick back and forth communication. At work we are almost ready to "prohibit" emails if they are 3 words or less! Sometimes, the simple "thank you" emails can be really overwhelming. We receive 250 - 300 emails each day and we're really trying to promote the in-house IM client for the quick back and forth chat and also group chat. In fact, we just tested voice chat last week. I'm told it worked, so we're all searching for microphones now at work :lol:
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

Ahhh ok I use Skype for text and voice i used to use AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ all that but I recently dumped my yahoo and msn accounts sad too I had my hotmail from as far back as 1993 main reason I just dont use them anymore I rely on Skype and gmail...

Skype ID:
orph4824

Imagine that original huh? :D

I've considered setting up an Asterisk (IP telephony server) just dont have that great a need for it but I enjoy a challenge and something new to tinker with. I currently run a Teamspeak Server off my home machine to communicate with friends that don't use skype or other voice services.
Life's 3 rules: 1. Stuff happens 2. Stuff happens on a regular basis 3. Better get used to the first two... (not the actual saying but you get the drift)
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

I see the new server is still having trouble.... a suggestion... install the same phpbb3rc3 on the new server then move the database over get that working then install phpbb3rc5 and let it run the conversion installation may solve your headaches. keep in mind you may have to have two sql databases one for the rc3 and another for the convert to rc5.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I'm having trouble importing the database right now, otherwise everything is functioning. Rich has upgraded his forum to phpbbrc5 as well. I posted the latest error on my forums.
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

Focus on disabling GZip compression...
Attachments
I enabled mine and crashed this forum, returning the same errors as you receive..
I enabled mine and crashed this forum, returning the same errors as you receive..
Clipboard01.jpg (347.75 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

Also, as I mentioned in email, there are a couple ways around this using your .htaccess file..

:idea:

<ifModule mod_php4.c>  
php_value zlib.output_compression off
</ifModule>
Look here also: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/OutputCompression

And here: http://osxclientserver.com/gzip-error-o ... b-output-c
ompression/
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

If I'm being a pest let me know and I'll be quiet.... In my reading one thing with SQL I noticed is that they have a compression I realize that reguardless importing the db shouldn't make a diffrence just wondering if the lanik's host is using sql db compression. I'm no sql or phpbb expert just trying to toss out ideas.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Being I'm a SQL n00b how can I determine this? I have access only to phpMyAdmin - 2.8.0.1.

Rich - GZIP compression on my forum has always been off.

Thanks.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Slightly different problem now folks. I'm getting this now when I import Richs' database. Looks like the import is partial.

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.
You can still access everything on the forums but there are no forums shown.
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

I'm just as much a N00b just grasping at straws however I remember seeing something about sql db compression when I install the MySql it shouldn't affect it either way since php is importing the db from the error you posted its almost as if the converter is seeign some part of the data as a delimiter and throwing off the whole db alignment but I haven't seen that since the old days of Dbase.
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

Can you see the forums listed in the Admin Control Panel or is it blank also?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I can see the forums in ACP just fine. They just don't show on the board itself.

Its important to note that I imported the db through the forums this time. Thats the only way it would take apparently.

Looking through the database I'm seeing the table php_users has 55 records but when I browse it I see a little over 30 which is me and a few other members registered so far. I even dropped the table and created a new one from backup I made of Richs' site and thats when the forums won't even load. I can duplicate it if you like to see the error message.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

** FOLKS, THE FORUM IS UP AND RUNNING AND YES ALL THE POSTS HAVE BEEN MOVED AS OF 2:30pm PST 09/23/07 **

Big thanks to Rich for all his support in figuring it out. There are still a few minor quirks to figure out but I can iron those out later with Rich.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

P.S. Please let me know if you find any bugs. :)
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

Congrats glad ya got it figured out. Rich although I'm realtive new to the community I'm sure I speak for others, thank you for your server space and that we understand why you need to take it to a more secure level for your other projects.
~Robert
Aserone

Post by Aserone »

Having a little problem with uploading an avatar.. is it a bug or intended not to store them on the server?

Temporary folder could not be found. Please check your PHP installation.

Anyway, nice job with the forum!
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Thanks I'll take a look at that tonight.

EDIT: Should be fixed now. Its 6am I'm off to bed if anyone still having issues please report them in this thread thanks.